I have a family reunion to attend tomorrow. These are hard core, Deep South southerners who are serious about their food. I guarantee there will be copious amounts of amazing fried chicken at this gathering, along with collard greens, fried okra, cornbread, banana pudding, and flowing rivers of sweet tea. My paleo buffalo chicken legs may not quite fit in, but I’m interested to see how my family will react, and if they’ll even know it’s healthy for them.
I found organic chicken legs at Publix on sale buy one get one free. Score! I got roughly 6 pounds.
Here’s the ingredients for the buffalo-ish sauce.
To cover my 6 pounds of chicken legs, I needed:
- One 24 oz. jar of roasted red peppers
- One cup of cashews (makes the sauce thicker and kind of creamy)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. palm/coconut shortening (can also use grassfed butter if you’re not strict paleo)
- Spices to taste: salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, and tumeric.
Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
Place chicken legs in baking dishes and cover them in sauce.
As my munchkin says… easy peasy lemon squeasy!
***UPDATE- We never made it to the reunion because we had a medical emergency. But now our freezer is loaded with individually frozen portions of Buffalo-ish Chicken Legs.